Monday, March 17, 2008

I Have Seen the Future of Food, and It Is Round

I have seen the future of food. It is spherical; it is puffy; it is delicious. It is the Pancake Puff:


My son Latham and I enjoy a good infomercial. He's partial to the Magic Bullet, which we've not yet purchased, as we like salsa well enough but don't need to make it in eight seconds.

This, however, is different. Pancakes? Yum. Pancake spheres? You bet.

Not to jump too far ahead, but it's a really good thing this thing works (and works deliciously), as my squeals of delight upon seeing this fine bit of kitchenware in Target woke our 3-month-old daughter from a much-needed nap. Wifey shot me a look but cautiously accepted that the promise of having pancake puffs that very day would be worth having a crying infant in the car on the way home. Looking back, I think she shot me a look. I'm not really sure, as I was running toward the cash registers with debit card in one hand and my deluxe Pancake Puffs set in the other as soon as I woke the baby up. And I'm not really sure about this either, but I think we were supposed to buy something else. Wifey Honey Baby, didn't we need diapers?


As you can see, the Pancake Puff pan is a handsome gadget, a nonstick-coated cast iron pan with 7 wells. It's also got a cast iron handle that reaches flesh-melting temperatures in seconds, but the good people at Pancake Puff Industries have that covered. If you're a high roller like me, you go for the deluxe kit, which includes a goo injector, "flipping sticks" (also known as wood skewers), and a lovely red quilted handle cozy, photographic evidence of which is below.


To make pancake puffs, you need to place your faith in physics. Fill the wells 3/4 full with pancake batter, wait until the edges set up, and then apply the awesome flipping power of the flipping sticks to invert the puff cooked side up and gooey side down:


Set aside your flipping sticks as the power of gravity takes over, pulling the uncooked batter down onto the hot surface of the pan. Wait a few seconds and you've got seven of the finest pancake balls you've ever had.




This is no Hawaii Chair, my friends. This is no Mighty Putty. This is proof that God is real and he eats nothing but round food.

UPDATE: It's been pointed out that the Pancake Puff is actually an Æbleskiver in disguise. I still believe in its deliciousness, even if my belief in American ingenuity has taken a bit of a hit.

Buy the Pancake Puff pan from Amazon.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only there was the "United Church of the Pancake Puff." Now thats something we could all agree upon.

Airelle Depreux said...

These delicious pancake puffs, are also known as poffertjes in Holland, and we've had them for centuries! But I am glad America gets to taste them too, they are lovely, especially with some icing sugar lightly dusted over them!

Katie Alender said...

Okay, now: roll them in butter and then in powdered sugar, and we'll talk.

AJM said...

This is brilliant! I'm placing an order now, thanks for pointing it out.

wheelmaker said...

there ought to be a way to have some kind of lid on it so that you can just flip the whole pan over instead of flipping each puff.

Anonymous said...

danish folks call these aebelskivers. i have a cast iron pan from my mom. you can fill them w/ apple sauce!

Anonymous said...

Why are kids so fascinated with pancake puffs? I finally broke down and bought one for my daughter. She kept bugging me for the longest time. Now I've got to come up with new recipe ideas since I've used every recipe in the book!