Wednesday, June 27, 2007

That Was Outside, You Putz

My wife and I live about 20 blocks from Comiskey Park, um, US Cellular Field, and while she's a casual fan, I'm pretty much of a baseball nut. I don't go in for the Sox Suck / Cubs Suck thing, feeling damned lucky that I live in a city that has two baseball teams (and about 4 minor league teams within easy driving distance.) I'll go see any team play, but the White Sox are getting a little hard to watch -- 30 wins, 42 losses, and in quite a freefall.

But there's something new to look forward to. Not sure if you've heard about it, but the Israel Baseball League kicked off its inaugural season just a few days ago, on June 24. That's right: 6 teams comprise "the League-of-Choice for the premier international baseball player."

As someone equally obsessed with graphic design and baseball, and knowing very little of this new league (although bless Wikipedia, they've already got an article), it seems pretty clear to me that the best way to pick my IBL team is based on who has the nicest caps.

My first reaction was to go with the Raanana Express: simple, bold, but ultimately rejected for no better reason than I'm on the plus side of 40 and don't like to look at too many limp things:


Next up, the Tel Aviv Lightning:


I'm told I look good in blue, I don't have to worry that the symbol is also a Hebrew letter or symbol of which I'm ignorant, it's got a nice Talmudic angry god swagger and there's a Bernard Malamud--lightning--The Natural thing (possibly) going on.

But after much consideration, I think the Petach Tikva Pioneers are getting my $19.95 plus shipping and handling. Red isn't really my color, but do I need to point out that the dude is swinging a shovel? It turns out that Petach Tikva is known as "the Mother of Settlements" and has played an important role in the history of Zionism. We of course don't need to get into any of that, though, because the dude is swinging a frikkin' shovel. Done. Go Pioneers!



And as long as we're on the subject, this is an oldie but a goodie:


Online Videos by Veoh.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could wear baseball caps with bills that big, but I just look like a total goon; No matter the cool graphics—I'd look like even bigger of a goon...